I need help again (lol) [mostly abacus related]

Bookmark and Share

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Zomgnoobs Posted: 07-30-2009 8:02 AM

Hai all.

Well, i pretty much got the hang of angle reading from my previous post and now have

stumbled into more questions :(

There are 3 cartegory of questions though.

1st. Ball slope

2nd. Green bounce slope

3rd. Abacus's infamous HWI list

Ball slope

Alright this is the first question / picture (many more to come)

In this ball slope which i zoomed in. Isit safe to say that..

Left side : 3 breaks

Right side : 5 breaks

So total would be Accurately 2 full breaks to the right? 

F.Y.I    Accurately : Specific and not on basic level of learning of slopes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.1b)

This one is.. A really badly edited one. Yeap. From me.

Ignoring the top line. Focus on the bottom one.

Theres actually 1 break left , 1break right here. [If you couldn't tell from the badly edited image]

Do they both nullify each other? As i seen from some posts stating longer break = More influence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q.1c)

And

Well. Question here is.. How do you know which side is the ball sliding to? I mean, it looks pretty balanced but im sure theres an existing slope. If i deduct the wrong slope from a hwi, i'll probably miss my shots badly.

2nd /3rd cartegory : 2nd post.

Not Ranked
Posts 15

Green ball bounce.

Well, i have been trying to understand what abacus meant when zooming in to the green and taking the measurements. This is what i did.

Before zoom in :

640 x 480 resolution. Zoomed in

And

800 x 600 zoomed in.

Well. I don't even know where to start.

From abacus wordpress:

STEP 2: Centralizing your aim through the tile.

This is easiest done in 640 by 480 resolution, due to the symmetry of the power bar, & it’s unique ability to be utilized as a ruler. I generally try to line up the two FURTHEST points of the tile, with the 4th powerbar mark on either side, like so:

STEP 3: Successful bounce measuring.

Once you are centralized, zoom in fully. Now, assuming your square is not tilted too far forward or back, & the green isn’t littered with magic dots, this bounce will be pretty darn close. Take the pb measurement, move up to the hole, & make sure you rezoom before moving the appropriate distance.

From the sentence taken from abacus wordpress, i couldn't find the symmetry mentioned in the text no matter where i zoom in, so now. Im just avoiding bs as much as possible.

Not Ranked
Posts 15

3rd and some questions.

HWI List :

Im not sure if this is a error or... something.

note : Enlarge image to see red box

At the elevation coloum . The red box, 0.02 for such a high elevation is a little unbelieveable. Lol.

Questions time.

If i can't master green ball slope, isit better if i just hop to dunking ( Which is similar to toma ), and get all my HWIs myself. [Which is hell].

Example in dunking.

213 yards

Ignoring wind

Ignoring elevation / slope.

And dunking = Add +20 yards. [This is an example not fact]

Isit similar to using the HWI list and adding +20 yards to what your power would be. So its

233 yards of power with the same hwi and same elevation modifier.?

Another qns :

Are there tees with slope?

Thats all, sorry if im long winded, im too curious about pangya. Took me 2 hours to do this. -Sigh- -Waits for a pro to enter-

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226

Ok im not a pro but ill try and answer some stuff lol

1a. As far as what i do, i would call that 2 breaks pushing right. but generally i find spots that dont have slopes like that.

1b.  For that slope i would do about .5 pushing to the right.

1c. By the looks of that first picm id say that is pushing to the right....second pic i cant see the black lines well enough.

2. Although i dont use this method (so i cant really give much advice...), i would urge you to read and look at the pictures again.  If you see stormcatz has put his 4th (10/90%) markers on the far edges of the 'big tile' which apparently puts him in the middle of the tile.  You seem to have just zoomed in with little regard to where your percentage markers are...

As i said, i dont do that...all i do is look at the dots and guess.  imagine i had a green slope pushing > with a wind > and i added .4 for the green bounce.  ball landed approx .1 on the right side so if i added .5 it woulda went kapok!...thats how i work out green bounces.

3. Firstly i have no idea what your talking about with the red box and .02 etc etc....so uhhh yeah.

Secondly: Dunks are hard....simple as that, they require basically perfect green clicking (if you didnt realise, the slope of a green makes ur clicks go a bit off), hwi selection, wind reading, slope reading etc.  Not to mention power cutting is annoying if you dont have auto calipers, and even with auto calipers you have to be pretty much 100% sure that the power you calculated is right (whereas a toma or bs has more room for power calculation error)....So in short, i would learn toma, then learn bs then if you need to learn dunk.

Your example: this can be done...sort of...using your tomahawk HWIS.  You add 32y for dunk (some do a lil more/less).  So to show you, ill use them hwis in the pic above (ignoring elevation/ballslope) Wind is a 1m cross.

213 + 32 = 245 = 98%

Take your 98% toma hwi which is 3.99 and theres your aim for the 1m cross.  Note that this is using power method for HWI selection which is basically finding the final % your gonna hit, and using the hwi that corresponds to that percentage.  Also note that you must look at percentage only, because if you took the 245 pin toma hwi, its gonna be too low because obviously tomahawks use a powershot.

That above method for dunk will work sometimes, although i wouldnt count on it AT ALL when trying for a record.

Ok i hope that helped a lil...good luck and happy learning!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 500

this is more intelligent question-asking than i'm used to seeing around here nowadays, so i'm sorry i don't have more time to answer your questions now.

slopes - it's almost impossible to be exactly and accurately a number of slopes. slopes can be anything from .2, .3, .4, 1.25, 2.4, etc breaks. learn by experience, no other way. seriously, trust me lol.  i didn't believe it when i first heard it but i believe it now. for example, 1 break can be anything from a quarter break to 1.5 breaks. be wary of them lol. use 1m and try to hit the beam, if you hit it you have the slope right to at least around .05 (or you got lucky with angles or something).

green bounces, also learn by experience. you can treat the boxes like putting (pushing left or right) and guess bounces based on how far off center the dot is, but it all comes down to experience and trial and error. sorry. storm's method isn't accurate by any means, you can try it i guess for starters, i can't say i suggest it. occasionally the green bounce is completely unreadable by the green, and will go in the opposite direction or something. i'm serious. be wary of the greens lol.

i don't know what you're talking about with .2 and red box either.

dunks - completely ignore them. trust me. pretend they don't exist - i'm serious, pretend they don't. people can and have shot -41 without dunks. until you're trying for -37 inferno or something there's no sane reason to do dunks. bs are 50x easier.

i appreciate that you put all your questions together and put up screenshots and stuff, shows a hell of a lot more effort than random hwi begging on the forums -_-.

Not Ranked
Posts 15

tonycheese:

i don't know what you're talking about with .2 and red box either.

Well.. If you all haven't noticed with the elevation modifier. Look at the red box i highlighted and 17.00 elevation. For the red box. Adjustment is 0.02 where as 17.00 elevation is 0.23. I don't believe if a huge 0.21 jump with just a 0.5 different of elevation height.

And thanks for all your replies. I'll try more on green bounce and everything esle.

But aren't dunks generally easier if you have the hwis? I mean you dun have to count the process of green ball bounce

Not Ranked
Posts 15

oldgill1:

Ok im not a pro but ill try and answer some stuff lol

1a. As far as what i do, i would call that 2 breaks pushing right. but generally i find spots that dont have slopes like that.

1b.  For that slope i would do about .5 pushing to the right.

1c. By the looks of that first picm id say that is pushing to the right....second pic i cant see the black lines well enough.

2. Although i dont use this method (so i cant really give much advice...), i would urge you to read and look at the pictures again.  If you see stormcatz has put his 4th (10/90%) markers on the far edges of the 'big tile' which apparently puts him in the middle of the tile.  You seem to have just zoomed in with little regard to where your percentage markers are...

As i said, i dont do that...all i do is look at the dots and guess.  imagine i had a green slope pushing > with a wind > and i added .4 for the green bounce.  ball landed approx .1 on the right side so if i added .5 it woulda went kapok!...thats how i work out green bounces.

3. Firstly i have no idea what your talking about with the red box and .02 etc etc....so uhhh yeah.

Secondly: Dunks are hard....simple as that, they require basically perfect green clicking (if you didnt realise, the slope of a green makes ur clicks go a bit off), hwi selection, wind reading, slope reading etc.  Not to mention power cutting is annoying if you dont have auto calipers, and even with auto calipers you have to be pretty much 100% sure that the power you calculated is right (whereas a toma or bs has more room for power calculation error)....So in short, i would learn toma, then learn bs then if you need to learn dunk.

Your example: this can be done...sort of...using your tomahawk HWIS.  You add 32y for dunk (some do a lil more/less).  So to show you, ill use them hwis in the pic above (ignoring elevation/ballslope) Wind is a 1m cross.

213 + 32 = 245 = 98%

Take your 98% toma hwi which is 3.99 and theres your aim for the 1m cross.  Note that this is using power method for HWI selection which is basically finding the final % your gonna hit, and using the hwi that corresponds to that percentage.  Also note that you must look at percentage only, because if you took the 245 pin toma hwi, its gonna be too low because obviously tomahawks use a powershot.

That above method for dunk will work sometimes, although i wouldnt count on it AT ALL when trying for a record.

Ok i hope that helped a lil...good luck and happy learning!

Texty texty lol

Well, thanks for the response about dunking, i didn't know anything abt green slope and perfect clicking so im a loser. T.T

O ya, another question. If you noticed, the current 600 x 480 is a rough version right? And 800 x 600 is a more graphic-type resolution.

But if i remember it right, in Season 3, i used 800 x 600 as a rough version and 600 x 480 as  clear version

Is there any chance that they swap places? I bet this is confusing.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210

A bit late, here, but that .02 that you have boxed off is a typo.

I believe it was supposed to be a 0.17, but I don't recall for sure. It's mentioned somewhere in the comments on the HWI page on the AbacusArchives.

I also feel like it's worth pointing out that stormcatz' bs bounce aiming method simply measures, in pb, the distance from the center of the panels to the green-slope marker. You can, if you so wish, do this with your fingers as well, without spending all that time lining up the 10% and 90% markers. You have to be zoomed in on the panel in question, of course, but it's probably faster to use your fingers than to line everything up.

It works decently. If you want to nail all your bs shots, noting down greenslopes is probably the way to go, but if you don't care too much about it, this'll work fine.

IGN: Koohnote

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 115

about the green slope guide... i dont really trust it..for me the only way to get that experience of green slopes is by trial and error... for all 18holes in all the courses lol..might seem a lot of time consuming but it l pay off in the end...same technique goes to every other aspect of the game..lol

pen = carrot

IGN:

metaminerx:S

[url=http://www.gmaniacos.com/sites/signPangya/][

Not Ranked
Posts 15

To : Deetari and yugi

Alright. Thanks again, im also a bit late for my post. Been busy with pangya these days (T.T)

I'll slowly work my way through to bs chipping. (lol)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 252

Further reinforcing the point that dunks aren't really worth learning until your basics (tomahawks) are strong enough to deal with the conditions involved in reading what's necessary for a dunk. While they're easier in the respect you have one less variable to care about you need to be dead on with the rest of it.

Backspins give you a multiple solution path that can work with errors and is more forgiving. The only time they are really bad is when the green slopes aren't static, which is when you need either, hole specific notes or to learn to avoid doing them on certain holes.

You want your understanding of the game to be at a higher level if you want a less frustrating time learning how to dunk. Personally I didn't start learning them until I realised I couldn't backspin anything on Sepia and so forced myself to start learning them. It definitely came quicker than I expected due to having solid angle and ball slope reads to assist it. Oh and auto-calipers are a must for accelerated learning. If you don't know what you're cutting exactly forget learning to dunk.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Google Analytics Alternative